Rancho Bernardo Inn Men’s Golf Club
Minutes of the Meeting of the RBIMGC Board of Directors
September 19, 2019, in the Veranda
In attendance were Tom Connolly, Jerry Canning, Ron Lacy, Mike Durrant, Norm Blades, Tom Christopher, and Tom Smith. Gregg Gattuso, Tom Dubuque, Joe Walkington and Doug Chenet were absent
The meeting was called to order at 8:00 AM by President Tom Connolly.
Ron Lacy noted that the minutes of the August 15, 2019 meeting had been circulated and posted on the website. He asked for a motion to approved those minutes. MSUA.
Jerry Canning distributed the Treasure’s report for the month. We have an operating cash balance of $11,565.31 as of September 19th and an available cash balance of $8,750.93. Jerry identified the cost of President’s Cup prizes, September tournament prizes and website/software upgrades as our major estimated liabilities.
Tom Smith presented the Membership Report. Since our last meeting, we have added three new members.
- Ed Spooner who had no sponsor
- Paul Van Israel, sponsored by Don Rago
- Dan Hasbrook, sponsored by Larry Reyno
Tom has one new application for membership from Tom Robbins who is sponsored by Ron Derham.
There were no renewals during the month. John Pollack and Kevin Sullivan failed to renew their memberships during the month and are no longer members of the RBIMGC. Sean Fryt, Henry Fryt and Doug Chenet are due to renew their memberships in the coming month.
Total membership is 196 Aand is comprised of 189 Full Members, 1 Associate member, and 6 complimentary/courtesy members.
Director of Golf:
Nolan Schmuckle reported for the Golf Staff. Nolan confirmed that Evan Biundo will become the new head pro at RBI. Evan was most recently the head pro at the Welk course. Nolan also confirmed that despite weather problems that reduced play early in the year, the RBI course is on pace for a record year in terms of rounds played.
Tom Connolly reported for Gregg Gattuso. All tournament for the balance of the year are open on the website for TD’s to enter their formats. Tom reminded the Board that the Member/Member Fall tournament will be held on November 11thand the format is a Scramble.
The SCGA has scheduled meetings to present information about the World Golf Handicap system that will go into effect in 2020. All member clubs must attend. Tom Connolly and Norm Blades are scheduled to attend the meeting in Chula Vista on October 8th.
Tom Christopher is in the process of moving our website to a new server on the Go Daddy system. The move is necessary because the server we currently use is old and is being replaced. Most of the transfer of data should be done this week.
Tom is in contact with a company that has designed a website for a group playing at Balboa Park and they are currently working on a redesigned website for the Torrey Pines Men’s Golf Club. Tom is interested in their work because it would add additional security and data protection that we do not currently have. Sometime next year, when the Torrey Pines work has been completed, Tom may invite the owner of the company to meet with us to discuss possible improvements to our website.
A discussion was held regarding current and pending charges for the move to the new Go Daddy server as well as next year’s fee for using Go Daddy.
No new items to report.
Special Projects/SCGA Chairman:
Tom Dubuque completed the second test of the registration software for the Golf Day events. The test was successful and will allow him to automate the golf and dinner registration process. The BEO is in place for the dinner and the prices are the same as last year. Jerry Canning will determine if there are unclaimed gift cards available to use for raffle prizes at the dinner as we were able to do last year.
The budget for the Golf Day prizes will be $1500 and the price for the Golf Day dinner and golf combination will be $65. Both items were MSUA.
Trophy’s for the President Cup champions have been ordered and there has been no increase in price from last year.
- Anniversary Cup. It was suggested that the start of the Golf Genius 2020 record-keeping season be adjusted to start with the first tournament after the 2019 Anniversary Cup tournament. This will simplify the points record keeping for the Anniversary Cup. MSUA
- Tom Smith suggested a change to how we award the free rounds of golf made available by the Pro Shop. Instead of awarding a free round to a CTP winner, we will attempt to award 4 rounds of golf to the members of the first-place team. Several options were discussed regarding the availability of the rounds and how to fund this change. The Board is supportive of making these changes. Tom Connolly will discuss options with the golf staff and a firm decision about the change and the effective date will be reviewed at a later date.
- Discussion about the eligibility for participation in Special Tournaments was held. No changes were made to existing eligibility requirements.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 9:34 AM.